Facts About Cold Chain Logistics India
The cold chain associates the transportation of temperature sensitive products along with a supply chain through thermal and refrigerated packing methods and the logistical planning to keep the integrity of these shipments intact. There are several procedures in which cold chain products can be sent, including refrigerated trucks and railcars, refrigerated cargo ships as well as by air cargo.
Cold chain logistics India refers to a temperature- controlled supply chain. An uninterrupted cold chain is an uninterrupted series of storage and distribution activities with a given temperature range. It is utilized to help extend and ensure the shelf life of products such as fresh agricultural produce, seafood, frozen food, and pharmaceutical drugs.
Cold chain logistics is the formulation of ‘logistics and temperature control.’
Major sectors that use cold chain logistics for transportation are- food, beverages, and biopharmaceuticals.
Industry temperature standards: chill 2-degree Celsius, frozen -18-degree Celsius, deep-frozen -29-degree Celsius.
The cold chain logistics infrastructure consists of-
- Supply procurement: it consists of a precooling system, farms (rural markets), manufactures. They are the primary source of procurement of supplies for transportation under temperature- controlled supply. The cold chain is a system of storing and transporting vaccines, food, beverages at the recorded temperature range from the time of manufacture to the point of use.
- Transport: transportation through the means of- refrigerated trucks, refrigerated railway wagons, refrigerated cargo containers. The cold chain logistics requires their transportation means to be customized for the purpose of transporting frozen items. Here the transportation carried out is inbound logistics.
- Storage: storage under cold storage and warehouse especially build for cold storage. The storage has controlled temperatures throughout the duration of storage; it is to maintain the freshness and quality of food and beverages; whereas for the biopharmaceuticals it is necessary that the vaccines or drugs develop any chemical reaction due to change in the temperature.
- Transportation: the transportation taking place in this stage is referred to as outbound logistics. The transportation means are similar to the inbound logistics means of transportation- refrigerated trucks, refrigerated railway wagon, refrigerated cargo containers.
- End customers: the main purpose of all the tedious chain of logistics comes to an end with meeting its end consumers, retail, market, factory, ports, or airport. End customers differ according to the purpose of the product if they are ready to be consumed then the end customers are the retailers and the consumers; whereas if there is further processing of the goods the end customers are the factory, ports, or airports where they will be processed to finished goods or transported further.
The sole reason for the booming of cold chain logistic India is the increasing world population which has their demand going higher and higher in terms of consumption of food, beverages, biopharmaceuticals- which are the major sector using cold chain logistics as their means of transporting their goods and supplies around the globe.
It helps to stretch and ensure the shelf life of products such as fresh agricultural produce, seafood, frozen food, and pharmaceutical drugs.